Sunday, June 9, 2013

the Fault in Our Stars

While reading a fault in our stars I found myself at the verge of tears several times, and having only the last chapter left to read, I felt it would only be right I blog now, without knowing the ending, because Hazel never got her ending to an imperial affliction. This book touched me so much for one reason because it was just written beautifully and conveyed Hazel and Augustus's story so well, but also because it had a very advanced view on the endings of life, and showed a perspective very sophisticated on a subject which is usually cushioned and safetied. Hazel has a rough life, fighting many fights of cancer, but she still says that the pain of losing Gus defeated all other pains. This book showed a girl who truly loved, who truly cared, and who stuck with Augustus until the very last day. Her strength through Gus was unbelievable, and I aspire everyday to be more and more like her. There was so much to learn from her, and I love this book.

While reading, it got me thinking about how close death is, and what heaven actually could become for us. Some of my favorite quotes on the topic, and the comic relief this book provides through the dynamic characters are below:

Do you believe in heaven?
"Yes, absolutely. bit like heaven where you ride unicorns, play harps, and live in a mansion made of clouds. But yes. I believe in Something with a capital S. always have.

"'the risen sun too bright in her losing eyes.' That's God, I think, the riding sun, and the light is too bright and her eyes are losing but they aren't lost."

"If you don't live a life in service of a greater good, you've gotta at least due a death in service of a greater good."

I don't know what I fully believe yet, but like Augustus, I definitely believe in Something. Capital S.

2 comments:

  1. This post is so good, Ali! I love how you wrote it one chapter before the ending to connect it with An Imperial Affliction. I also like how you including some important quotes from the book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, great post. How does this relate to your daily life?

    ReplyDelete