After completing the first book of the series, If I Stay by Gayle Freeman, it was very interesting for me to transition straight away into the second book, Where She Went. The first book is all told from te first person perspective of Mia, the main character in a coma; but the second book is told from the the first person perspective of Adam, Mia's boyfriend.
In the end of the first book, it leaves off with Mia hinting at life, and never tells you whether or not she dies, but from all the hints of the book, I'm assuming she does die. Especially when the second book starts with Adam hating his life. When I read the first chapter of the second book, it started with Adam doing a recording in New York, which to me is extremely sad knowing that before Mia's coma, she and Adam were fighting about her wanting to leave for New York and him staying in Portland. I think that there's a point to him going where she could only dream of going, and that makes the big connection saying that Mia is dead.
I like how Forman switch the perspective not to someone like the grandma, but to her boyfriend. As a teen reader, books are always more interesting from a teen perspective, especially in this case. I'm excited to see where this book goes. I recommend the last book, If I Stay to all.

Great post Ali!! This series sounds really interesting how it switches perspectives. I also think that's really interesting how the book doesn't actually tell you if the character is dead. I like how you wrote about your inference, and how you got to it. Great job!
ReplyDeleteGood job. Like what Josephine said, it sounds really interesting how the books change perspective. You make it sound like the author builds up a lot of suspense before revealing whether Mia is dead. I mean, in most books, does the main character die? No, he/she just doesn't. Good job.
ReplyDeleteAwkward guys... because Mia actually isn't dead... :)
Delete