Sunday, November 25, 2012

Scat by Carl Hiaasen

I am currently reading the book Scat by Carl Hiaasen.  The chapter I most recently finished displayed the beginning of a lesson that having good role models around you can help build your character in a more positive way.

This chapter showed a kid, who majorly disrespected his teacher, and continuously talked back.  The argument ended between student and teacher with this kid eating the teacher pencil that she was pointing at him.  When the book described the kid from the perspective of the main character, Nick, it put the idea in my head that he was a bully, and that all of the teachers except for this one were afraid of her.  I believe that all bullies are formed from prior bullying in their own life, or an insecurity about themselves,  but in this case, "Smoke"'s attitude came from an unstable home environment.

The boys dad didn't care where he was all the time, and didn't care about his grades, and didn't maintain a clean home.  According to the dad, he had recently bee through  divorce, and had no respect whatsoever of his previous wife, or her mother, who is funding "Smoke"'s private school education.  Because of his fathers relaxed and non-caring attitude, I think that "Smoke" has never had a fulfilling example of how to behave and care about your life.   I also think that there is lots of anger building up inside ""'s head and that he will later be developed into a character in which the reader is supposed to care for, because of some deep backstory,  or heroic action.

--Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment