Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

Over the summer, I competed the book called The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler.  The entire story really portrayed the idea that friendship is such an important aspect to life.  The character change was extreme throughout the book, which didn't just enhance the story and intrigue the reader, it also laid out the actual theme for the story.

The book is written from two different perspectives, one from a girl named Emma, and the other from a boy named Josh.  These two characters had an interesting relationship that began as awkward and later developed into anything but awkward.  They had been best friends since they were little, but when the book begins, they aren't even speaking to each other.  The plot is based on the two kids discovering Facebook from the past, and using it to manipulate their futures.

As they tried to change their futures, they pulled away from what was starting to rebuild their friendship.  When they pulled away, they realized how hard things began to get without a support system or anyone to talk to.  I think that sometimes the best things come from getting space for a while, and you notice who your really supposed to be, and how your friend actually fits into your life.  Even in this instance ignoring one another showed them a new perspective as to where they needed to be at the moment, but there's always a need for a friend.

With personal knowledge on pulling away from someone, I realized that what I really needed was to be closer to them, because they had my back through conflict, and weren't the ones inflicting it.  I think that the characters never would end up where they do in the end of the book if they never had that fight, and they also wouldn't have realized the second major theme to the book.

I think that the other lesson learned from this story is that living in the moment is what forms your future, and you shouldn't try and change those moments to have the perfect future.  A lot of the time great things can come out of your mistakes, but if you focus on the present, in my opinion, that wil;l lead you to a better place in your life than your mistakes will.

The Future of Us was written extremely well and had me hurting for the characters.  I think it served a great purpose, with surprising detail, all while keeping me interested.

                             
                                  ~~Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment